Skip to content
Premier Electrician Services in North & South Carolina
Call Us 24/7     (704) 286-0447

Common Causes of Electrical Fires in Homes

Did you know that electrical fires are one of the most common types of fires in homes? In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association, they account for more than 44,000 fires every year. That’s why it’s important to be aware of the common causes of electrical fires, so you can take steps to prevent them from happening in your home.

At ARC Electric Company, we prioritize the safety of our customers in their homes, which is why we’ll be sharing some safety tips with you. In this blog post, ARC Electric Company will discuss some of the most common causes of electrical fires and tips on how to avoid them. Keep reading to learn how you can prevent an electrical fire in your home.

Outdated Wiring

One of the most common causes of electrical fires is outdated wiring. If your home has old, knob-and-tube wiring or aluminum wiring, it’s time to upgrade. Outdated wiring isn’t able to keep up with your home’s power needs, and it wasn’t made with today’s updated electrical equipment. Not only is updating your wiring safer, but it will also help you avoid costly repairs down the road. A few signs of outdated wiring include burning smells, flickering lights, and heat coming from your appliances.

Misusing Space Heaters

Another common cause of electrical fires is space heaters. While space heaters do come in handy every now and then, they can overheat and start a fire if used incorrectly. Be sure to read the instructions carefully, keep it surface-level, and never leave a space heater unattended. You should never rely on space heaters as your main source of heat or keep them close to flammable items such as carpets, curtains, and beds.

Faulty or Overloaded Outlets

Faulty outlets are another common cause of electrical fires. If you notice that an outlet is sparking or making strange noises, it’s important to have it checked out by a professional immediately. Overloaded outlets are also a major fire hazard. When you plug too many devices into one outlet, it can cause a fire. To avoid this, use power strips and surge protectors to distribute the load evenly.

Overloaded Light Fixtures

Overloaded light fixtures can also cause electrical fires. If you’re using a high-wattage bulb that your lamp or light fixture is not designed for, it’s a recipe for disaster. Make sure you are always using bulbs with the correct wattage.

Misusing Extension Cords

If you have to use extension cords, make sure you are using them correctly. While extension cords are convenient, you should not be using them excessively. Never run extension cords underneath carpets or rugs, and don’t plug large appliances into them. If you need to plug in a large appliance, but there isn’t a nearby outlet, contact ARC Electric Company to install a new outlet for you.

Outdated Appliances

Outdated or faulty appliances usually develop wiring issues, which puts them at a higher risk of causing an electrical fire. If the appliances in your home look like they belong in a different era or they aren’t working the way they should, it sounds like it’s time to upgrade them.

By following these safety tips, you can help prevent electrical fires in your home. If your home’s wiring seems outdated or you need extra outlets installed, contact ARC Electric Company at (704) 286-0447 or fill out our online contact form to speak with one of our team members today. We always want our customers to feel safe in their homes, so don’t hesitate to contact us to make any necessary electrical updates to your home.